ABET Fundamentals of Assessment Workshop
Full day workshop: Offered Friday, 21 July 2017, 8:00am to 5:30pm.
Florida Atlantic Unviersity, Boca Raton FL
Kevin Huggins, PhD,
Prof. Dr. Kevin Huggins is a retired military officer with extensive experience in Latin America. The later part of his career was dedicated to academia, primarily as a faculty member in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the US Military Academy. While there, Kevin served as the Director of Research in Network Science as well as the Director of the Information Technology Program. Dr. Huggins was also a visiting scientist at the École de Techniques Avancées in Paris, France where he studied parallel algorithms for multi-processor system-on-chip (MPSoC) architectures. His current research interest includes sharing information in complex, networked systems.
Fluent in Spanish and French, Kevin is also interested in international engineering education. Kevin currently serves as a consultant for computing curriculum development and for fostering international collaborative research efforts in technology and engineering. Huggins earned his B.S. in computer science from the US Military Academy, a M.S. in computer science from the Naval Postgraduate School, and his Ph.D. in computer science from the École des Mines de Paris. He is an ABET Senior IDEAL Scholar.
Working in a small groups, you learn to design assessment processes, develop measurable student outcomes, and apply data collection and data reporting methods.
Our facilitators are highly experienced faculty with wide-ranging experience in assessment and evaluation. This workshop focuses primarily on ABET Criterion 2: Program Educational Objectives, Criterion 3: Student Outcomes, and Criterion 4: Continuous Improvement.
After the workshop, you will receive a booklet containing all slides and reference materials so you can review what you’ve learned and apply it to your program back at home.
- Materials will be provided in English and Spanish.
- Participants will receive a certificate from ABET upon completion of this workshop.
- The workshop counts towards certification as an ABET IDEAL scholar.
- This workshop is open to faculty and administrators at LACCEI member Institutions.
The workshop prepares you to:
- Identify key elements of a functional assessment process.
- Clarify the similarities and differences between course and program assessment.
- Make student outcomes measurable with the development of performance indicators.
- Understand the methods and measures to assess student outcomes.
- Develop rubrics to assist in evaluating student performance in achieving student outcomes.
- Understand the pros and cons of various data collection methods.
- Review an example of reporting your results.
Here is a brief outline of the day:
- Principles of Student Learning
- Context for Assessment
- Review of Program Educational Objectives
- Performance Indicators: Making Student Outcomes Measurable
- Assessment Methods to Collect Evidence of Student Learning
- Continuous Improvement: Data Collection, Planning & Data Reporting
Cost: 595 USD